The International Institute for Nanotechnology (IIN) at Northwestern University invites applications for the position of Scientific Officer. This position reports directly to the Director of the IIN.
Primary duties and responsibilities include:
- In partnership with the Director, provide scientific oversight and management of a portfolio of sponsored research projects;
- Work with the Director to help set research and scientific priorities so that they line up with overall mission and goals;
- Manage, mentor, and coordinate the work of a large multi-disciplinary research team of graduate students and postdoctoral fellows to ensure the delivery of the highest quality research;
- Foster teamwork and drive a culture of scientific boldness with integrity;
- Manage the development and act as final editor of compelling presentations;
- Work with the Director, Associate Director, and other members of the IIN to grow the research enterprise, including envisioning and managing the development of successful new grant proposals (e.g., writing, compiling, and editing);
- Develop, and manage a vigorous schedule of grant reporting, working with teams of researchers to ensure reports are comprehensive, technically perfect, and on-time;
- Plan and manage the development of scientifically rigorous publications, and develop and implement effective tracking system;
- Regularly meet with individual research group members, teams of researchers, and group leaders to ensure progress towards scientific goals as well as effective written and oral communication of research accomplishments;
- Work with the Director to develop and strengthen strategic domestic and international partnerships;
- Represent the Director to visitors, partners, governmental representatives, funders, and current and potential industry partners;
- Identify and exploit opportunities for joint research projects between IIN researchers and researchers from corporate, academic, and government labs;
- Develop and maintain appropriate relationships with the technology transfer office;
- Manage, mentor, and coordinate activities of members of the IIN Postdoctoral Fellowship and Ryan Graduate Student Fellowship programs;
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
Required qualifications and experience:
- Ph.D. in chemistry, biomedical engineering, materials science, chemical and biological engineering or other field related to the work of the IIN;
- At least three years of related work experience;
- A high degree of self-motivation, organization, communication; high competence in solving complex problems, as well as the ability to navigate a fast-paced cross-functional and collaborative work environment;
- Proven track record of successful proposal development and funding;
- Proven track record of producing high-quality academic publications;
- Extremely strong writing skills;
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Extremely organized, self-driven, mature, flexible, and committed to excellence;
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Previous management experience in an academic/research institution is an asset.
To apply, send a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.